Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ironman Arizona 2009 Race Report #193

Before

So I flew into Phoenix Thursday night.  Brian and Bobbie picked me up and I stayed with them for the night.  Friday, I met up with my family to pick up my bike as they continued on for the tour of tucson.  I then headed to check in and get my race number.  I couldn't believe the race had finally come!  I have anticipated this day for awhile.  I thought I would be more nervous but I actually was very calm, maybe a little too calm as I saw all the other athletes practice swimming and doing their weird training rituals as I just stood there taking in all the scenery :)  Saturday, I checked in my bike, helped brian around the house and then met up with my family for dinner at Chili's.  It was perfect.  Sunday morning came, I put on my tri gear and headed off to make last minute preparations to my bike.  

Swim 2.4   1 hour 20 minutes 56 seconds (Goal 1 hour 35 minutes-ish)

I was pretty nervous about the swim, after all I didn't do much swimming in my training and I have heard terrible stories about the swim.  I waited till the last minute I could to jump in the water.  The announcer said that if we didn't get in right then, he'd come push us in himself.  So I jumped in.  It was a brisk 60 something degrees.  I swam about 150 yards to the nearest kayak and waited for the  gun to go off.  It went off at 7:00 and so did all the swimmers.  I waited till most had swam off so that I would get too caught up in the 'washing machine chaos."  It didn't matter though.  I got hit really good one time to the face, swam over several times and so on.  Overall it wasn't as bad as I thought though.  The caution spots are the start, the turn around, and about 1/4 mile from the finish.  Also make sure you double check your wetsuit, my neck strap wasn't on right and I now have a burn mark on my neck from the velcro rubbing..  Oh well, live and learn.  

T1 Swim to bike  7 minutes 35 seconds

So I reached the steps and some wonderful volunteers helped me out of the water.  I crossed the mat and got my wetsuit stripped.  I was in no hurry to get to the changing tent.  I walked all the way there, took my time getting my stuff on and then jumped onto my bike.  It was a pretty uneventful transition though I did think "wow, the swim is done and I only have two more legs of the race.  This is soo cool!"

Bike 112    5 hours 58 minutes 44 seconds (Goal 6 hours)

The first lap was pretty crazy coming out of transition.  The road was narrow and it was hard to avoid "drafting."  During orientation they made such a big deal about penalties and I did not want one, so I was always super concerned :)  Going out had a bit of a head wind, my chain fell off and that was note worthy.  I knew I had to do this loop 3 times and I was mentally prepared for it.  The second half of the loop was much quicker.  Soon enough, I was reaching town to start my second loop.  On the way in, I saw my family cheering.  I kind of got choked up, but that was really the only time that that much emotion hit me all at once.  So the second loop was about the same as the first except the Pro's lapped me about half way through.  They were hauling!!!  So it was pretty cool to witness and be apart of, even if they did dominate me haha.  By the third loop, I was kind of tired and my butt hurt but I was just enjoying the moment...thinking wow, this came quick.  I only have one more loop of the bike and then the run.  This is soo awesome.  I was out of my aeros for a little less than half of this loop.  I munched on a cliff bar, continued eating gu chomps and was estatic for the gatorade at the aid stations.  It was cold and good!  I didn't use my special needs bag, which is fine considering I didn't put much in it.  So anyway the third loop ended and I came into transition.. I was thinking to myself ok did I really do 3 loops?  My computer says 112, ok yes I did, I don't have to do another loop :).. Dismounted and entered t2.  I have always heard of 'bike wabbles' I believe in them now haha.  My legs felt like hula hoops as I went to get my run bag.

T2 Bike to Run    4 minutes 49 seconds

I grabbed my run bag, and went to the transition tent and put on my shoes.  Brian was there as a volunteer so I talked to him for a second and then went to the rest room.  It hurt soo bad.  I couldn't believe it.  Ouch.  It hurt so bad actually that I had to go a little bit on the run but opted to wait just because I was so afraid to go again.  Yikes!  And then I was off to the run.

Run 26.2   4 hours 16 minutes 53 seconds  ( Goal 4-4 1/2 hours)

It took me 8 miles to really find my legs but after that, I found a rhythm and stuck with it.  I stopped at every aid station, took my time drinking water and coke.  The sponges were awesome.  I'd squeeze one over my head as I entered and as I left.  Seeing my family cheer on the run was also very helpful.  Since it was a 3 loop course during the first loop you would see signs for miles 13 and 20 ... you would think that it was discouraging but I was like "oh sweet I'll hit that on my next loop and the next on the last." Even though I was really pretty tired, my mental game was really up to par.  I was enjoying each section of the course and of the run.  I was kind of sad when I started my last loop.  All the anticipation, work, worry, money ambition...and I have 8 miles left of it :)  I was handed a glow stick on my third lap as the sun was about to go down.  With about six miles to go, I heard someone say "hey lets pick it up if we are going to get 12 hours."  That was my goal.  I thought "wow I might be able to make it.  I wonder if I have enough energy"  So I picked it up and stayed with the guy until the  nearest aid station, then I felt some energy and I took off.  I skipped the next couple aid stations and then really kicked it in the last mile.  I turned the corner to see the finish line, my family was on the left.  I almost missed them because I was running pretty quickly.  And then I crossed.  I am an IRONMAN!

140.6       Total time  11 hours 48 minutes 54 seconds (Goal 12 hours.. skidoosh!)  

Overall place 790 Division place 51

After

I got my shirt and medal.  Brian was at the finish line to catch me.  I went and got a coke and then met up with my family.  Surprisingly, I felt pretty good.  I was a catcher last year and I was expecting to not be able to walk and then end up in a medic tent or something.  But that didn't happen.  I actually felt better then than after any of the marathons that I have done. Wierd but I'm not complaining :)

Final thoughts

I just want to give a big hand to IMAZ and the volunteers.  It was an A+ race.  They had every detail covered and it ran seamlessly.  Loved every minute. honestly..well almost honestly, the 3rd loop of the bike could have had some minutes taken off and I wouldn't have minded one bit :)  My only disappointment was that last year when I volunteered, everyone got to break through the tape at the finish so I really looked forward to it but this year they didn't have the tape holders :(  Oh well its not the end of the world. 

I couldn't get the pictures to work so here is a link to PICTURES


1 comment:

Bob said...

An amazing fete. I take off my hat and bow. Thou almost persuadest me to be an ironman attempter.